Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Spiced brigadeiros

Spiced brigadeiros / Brigadeiros de especiarias

When I was little and heard people saying that “time flies”, I’d usually think “what are these people talking about?” – I guess it only started feeling that way to me after I turned 20. Now my baby sister is a year away from going to college... Well, you get the picture. :D

Holiday season is here again – even though sometimes it seems that Christmas was last month – and my tree is already decorated; time to start thinking about the food.
To me, spices are a synonym of holiday food and I thought that adding them to a Brazilian candy would make a wonderful combination – I was pretty glad with the result, especially after my last squashed brigadeiros. :)

I used Paula’s wonderful brigadeiro recipe as a guide and substituted the chocolate for cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

Spiced brigadeiros / Brigadeiros de especiarias

Spiced brigadeiros

1 can (395g) sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup (80ml) heavy (whipping) cream
½ heaping tablespoon all purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsalted butter + a bit extra for buttering the plate
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
granulated sugar, for rolling the candy

Butter a large plate and set aside.
Mix the condensed milk, cream, flour, 1 tablespoon butter, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 15 minutes – when the bottom of the pan starts to show and the mixture is a bit thicker, remove from heat and immediately pour into the prepared plate. Set aside to cool completely, then refrigerate to make rolling easier.
Roll small portions of candy into balls (lightly butter your palms to do it), roll through the granulated sugar and place into fluted paper cups.

Makes 32

Spiced brigadeiros / Brigadeiros de especiarias

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting candy - they sound really delicious.

eliza said...

looks lovely! holiday spirit seems to cheer you up pretty nicely :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Alicia, thank you! I think you would like them.

Liz, thank you! I love that holiday feel. :)

anna said...

Aw, they're so cute!

Candy said...

Looks delicious! Love your photography.

Abby said...

They're adorable! I love the photos. You're so talented!

tasteofbeirut said...

these look so pretty in their little cases!

Related Posts with Thumbnails